Tuesday, October 7, 2014

A Letter to Myself

I've been reflecting on my life with my birthday coming up and from conversations I've had recently.  What would I have told myself through out the years past?  In looking back on certain seasons of my life, I hope to accomplish two things...the first being that I hope I never forget where I've come from or what I've learned along the way and the second being that if anyone is in a season that I've gone though, my desire is that the lessons I've learned might help you in some way.

Childhood - A time of innocence where no bills need to be paid and the lessons in life are learned under guiding parents with minimal consequences.  I had a great childhood and many great memories.  The only thing I wish I did differently as a child is to not always wish I was a couple of years older.  I just couldn't wait to be ___ and that number was always at least 2 years older than what I already was.  I couldn't wait to gain more freedom!  Enjoy childhood and make many memories.   

Middle School/High School - There are some great memories from these years and some not so great memories.  Take the good with the bad but try to forget the bad (or at least offer forgiveness more quickly).  I love that I didn't wish away these years.  I enjoyed the times I had and although I was looking forward to college and life after high school in general, I didn't sit around just waiting for that to happen.  Being involved in activities that mattered to me is one of the things I have no regrets about.  

College - Someone once told me that my greatest years and memories would be made in college and they were right.  I loved being more independent and it helped to make good friends that had the same dreams and desires I had.  Some of my lifelong friends were made in college.  It is also the time I realized that friends with come and go...there will be some friends that are friends for life but others are just for a season and that's okay.  

20 Something - I made some mistakes during these years.  I've heard the saying to not regret mistakes because they teach you a lesson and I only agree with that to a certain extent.  I wish I wouldn't have made some of the choices that I did during these years.  I wish I wouldn't have had the attitude of "well, I've already messed up so what's the difference".  I wish I would have repented of the first mistake and moved on instead of trying to find my value in other ways.  If I could go back in time, I would tell myself that my actions do not determine my worth in the eyes of Christ.  These years were not all wasted...I made some great friends and enjoyed being single while working full time.  I love the position I had with the Hope Center for Kids.  I loved being apart of an organization that is making a difference.  

Married Life Without Children - This is the shortest period of time as it only lasted a year and a half before moving onto the next season of life of married with children.  The first year of marriage is great...and also very hard.  The fights are intense as you wonder what you just got yourself into.  If I could go back to my life then, I would tell myself to calm down, you have a lifetime to learn each other.  There were issues made of things that really didn't matter but at the time, even an older version of myself couldn't have convinced myself that was true.  I don't regret discussions that were had or issues that were discussed.  I never regret giving my life to Myron and committing to love him for the rest of my life.  I would also tell myself to enjoy the season we had before we had children.  Life is just a little more simple when you don't have to think about bedtimes, nap times, and all the other things that come with kid. 

Parenting Young Children - Although I am still in this season, I have learned a few things along the way.  The first being, even in the difficult moments (which there are plenty), do not wish this season away.  I've heard it said that the days are long while the years fly by...so far, this is very true.  The other thing I have learned is that if there's something difficult about the age of a certain child, they will soon be onto the next stage and there will be new challenges that come with that stage but the things that bothered you before will likely be over.  

I have more thoughts on this stage since this is the one I am currently in so it requires more than 1 paragraph.  Although it's said of relationships concerning a significant other, "can't live with them, can't live without them"...I would apply this to parenting.  Parenting is very frustrating in certain moments but I couldn't imagine my life any other way.  When someone else is caring for my children, it is hard not to think of them and wonder if they are okay.  While at the same time, trying to grocery shop with a screaming toddler is not my idea of fun.

Keep your relationship with your spouse above the demands you have as a parent.  This may be difficult with the demands of young children are great and the house doesn't clean itself.  Keep dating your significant other because your relationship with them is vital.  Keep short accounts and always offer forgiveness.    

I would tell every parent of young children two things.  The first being something I found great comfort in from someone I respect greatly...she said that when her children were young, she questioned whether she was saved or not.  I love this because it made me realize that what I'm going through is normal.  The second being that being a great parent doesn't mean I have to be a perfect parent.  Sometimes it's easy to get the two mixed up.  God wouldn't have given me these wonderful gifts if he didn't think I would be the best mom for them.  Oh, and the last thing is to parent the best way you know how and do what you feel is best for your children.  There are many parenting theories out there and while some of them have some great ideas, only God knows what is the best way for your child to be raised so ask Him...He created them.           

No comments:

Post a Comment